Dr. McClurg is a fellowship-trained Rhinologist that specializes in the advanced treatment of sinus and nasal problems. He has undergone rigorous training at some of the most prestigious facilities in the world to provide cutting-edge therapies for patients with all sinus and nasal complaints, even those that have failed surgery and other treatments in the past.
Dr. McClurg has a wonderful wife who is an OB/Gyn physician, and 2 wonderful children. In his free time, he enjoys golfing, hiking, gardening, and travelling.
Kansas State University
Bachelors of Science in Chemical Engineering
University of Kansas School of Medicine
Doctor of Medicine
The Ohio State University
University of North Carolina
Rhinology, Allergy, and Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery Fellowship
- McClurg SW, Thorp BD, Senior BA, “Surgery for Sphenoid Sinus Disease”. Practical Medical and Surgical Management of Chronic Rhinosinusitis. Editors P Batra, JK Han. Publication date: June 14th, 2015
- Bhalla V, Sykes KJ, Villwock JA, Beahm DD, McClurg SW, Chiu AG. Draf IIB with superior septectomy: finding the “middle ground”. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2019 Mar;9(3):281-285.
- Kimple A, McClurg SW, Senior BA. Image Quality and Dose Reduction in Sinus Computed Tomography Using Iterative Reconstruction: A Cadaver Study. Rhinology Online. Vol 1:45-49, 2018.
- McClurg SW, Carrau R. “Endoscopic Management of Posterior Epistaxis: A Review”. Acta Otorhinolaryngologica Ital. 2014 Feb; 34(1): 1-8
- McClurg SW, Teknos TN, Leon M, Iwenofu H. “Chondromyxoid Fibroma of the Nasal Septum, Case Study and Review of the Literature”. Head Neck. 2013 Jan;35(1):E1-5.
- McClurg SW, Wakely PE, Chio EG. “Laryngeal Neuromas in a Case of Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia Type 2B: Current Diagnosis and Management”. Ear Nose Throat J. 2015 Oct-Nov; 94(10-11):E20-2
- Miller JD, Deal AM, Kibwei AM, Thorpe BD, Rodriguez KD, McClurg SW, Ambrose EC, Taylor RJ, Senior BA Zanation AM, Ebert CS. “Markers of Disease Severity and Socioeconomic Factors in Allergic Fungal Rhinosinusitis”. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2014 Apr;4(4):242-9
- Sreenath SB, McKinney KA, McClurg SW, Zanation AM. “Endoscopic Resection of Retromaxillary Schwannomas”. Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. Apr 2014; 25
- Lu Y, Deal AM, Miller JD, Thorp BD, Sreenath SB, McClurg SW, Senior BA, Zanation AM, Ebert CS. “Comparison of Socioeconomic and Demographic Factors in Patients with Chronic Rhinosinusitis and Allergic Fungal Rhinosinusitis”. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015 Jul;153(1):137-43
- Sreenath SB, McClurg SW, Senior BA, Ebert CS, Zanation AM. “Long Term Complications and Outcomes Associated with the Nasoseptal Flap in Endoscopic Skull Base Reconstruction.” Laryngoscope. Accepted for publication.
- Kimple AJ, McClurg SW, Del Signore AG, Tomoum MO, Lin FC, Senior BA. “Standardized Letters of Recommendation and Successful Match into Otolaryngology.” Laryngoscope. 2016 May;126(5):1071-6.
- Sreenath SB, Recinos PF, McClurg SW, Thorp BD, McKinney KA, Klatt-Cromwell C, Zanation AM. “The Endoscopic Endonasal Approach to the Hypoglossal Canal: The Role of the Eustachian Tube as a Landmark for Dissection.” JAMA Oto-HNS. 2015 Oct;141(10):927-33
- Frank-Ito DO, McClurg SW, Senior BA, Zanation AM, Ebert CS, Kimbell JS. “Investigating Optimal Head Position for Topical Drug Administration in Chronic Rhinosinusitis Patients”. Respiratory Drug Delivery. 2016 Vol 2:303-308.
- McClurg SW. Contributor to the “Interactive Study Guide to Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease 2008” (Damjanov I, editor), Elsevier <http://www.robbinspathology.com>.
Honors & Awards
- 2007-08 Gold Humanism Honor Society
- 2005-08 KU School of Medicine Ambassadors Association
- 2005-08 Community Leadership Track academic option
Activities & Organizations
- Fellow of the American Rhinologic Society
- Co-director of Kansas City Rhinology and Skull Base Surgery Surgical Fellowship program 2015-2018
- Director of The Saint Luke’s Sinus Center, 2014-2018
- Epic Physician Builder Certified
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) and Physician Champion for Epic at St. Luke’s Health System
- Revision and Primary Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
- Nasal Airway Obstruction Surgery (Septoplasty, Turbinate Reduction, Nasal Valve Collapse)
- Repair of CSF spinal fluid leaks and Encephaloceles
- Endoscopic Skull Base and Pituitary Surgery
- Chronic Sinus Disease
- Allergic Sinusitis