Peter Gochee, MD, PhD, FACS is a board certified otolaryngologist. After receiving his bachelor's degree in Chemistry and biology from the University of Puget Sound, Dr. Gochee received his PhD in Molecular Biology from the University of Queensland Australia. He completed his medical degree at the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry.
Outside of medicine Dr. Gochee enjoys aviation related activities; he has completed a WWI replica biplane (Nieuport 11) that took over 7 years. His love for aviation stems from his time as an Airborne Ranger in the US Army, where he flew paragliders and paramotors, and was a member of the Civil Air Patrol. Dr. Gochee enjoys traveling, having been to six continents. He has spent a good part of his adult life living and working in other countries, including Panama, England and Australia. While in Australia Dr. Gochee practiced Otolaryngology.
Dr. Gochee also enjoys spending time outdoors camping, hiking, SCUBA diving, and sailing. He is also quite the accomplished chef, and enjoys cooking and creating new dishes for family and friends.
University of Puget Sound, 1998
BS, Chemistry & Biology
University of Queensland Australia, 2002
PhD, Molecular Biology
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, 2004
- Schaefer N, O'Donohue P, French H, Griffin A, Elliott D, Gochee P. Transtympanic Facial Nerve Paralysis: A Review of the Literature. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2015 Jun 5;3(5):e388. PMID: 26090278
- Schaefer N, Chong J, Griffin A, Little A, Gochee P, Dixon N. Schneiderian-type papilloma of the middle ear: A review of the literature. Int Surg. 2015 Jun;100(6): 989-93.PMID: 25564042
- Schaefer N, Griffin A, Gerhardy B, Gochee P. Early recognition and management of laryngeal fracture: A case report. Oshner J.2014;14(2):264-5. PMID: 24940139
- Ha J, Gochee P, Santa Maria P, Grey P. Traumatic pneumolabyrinth; A case secondary to palm frond penetration and a review of the literature. International Journal of Case Reports in Medicine, Vol. 2013 (2013), Article ID 803147, DOI: 10.5171/2013.803147
- Flatscher-Bader T, van der Brug M, Hwang JW, Gochee PA, Matsumoto I, Niwa S, Wilce PA. Alcohol-responsive genes in the frontal cortex and nucleus accumbens of human alcoholics. J Neurochem 2005; 93(2):359-70. PMID: 15816859.
- Gochee PA, Powell EE, Purdie DM, Pandeya N, Keleman L, Shorthouse C, Jonsson JR, Kelly B. Neuropsychiatric symptoms during interferon alpha treatment for chronic hepatitis C are associated with apolipoprotein E e4. Psychosomatics 2004; 45(1):49-57. PMID: 14709760.
- Gochee PA, Jonsson JR, Clouston AD, Pandeya N, Purdie DM, Powell EE. Steatosis in chronic hepatitis C is associated with increased mRNA expression of collagen I, tumor necrosis factor-a and cytochrome P450 2E1. J Gastrol Hepatol 2003; 18(4):386-92.PMID: 12653886.
- Fox CJ, Cullen DJ, Knuiman MW, Dvitini ML, Rossi E, Gochee PA, Powell LW, Olynyk JK. Effects of body iron stores and hemochromatosis genotypes on coronary heart disease outcomes in the Busselton population health study. J Cardiovasc Risk 2002; 9(5):287-93. PMID: 12394323.
- Whiting P, Fletcher L, Dixon J, Gochee P, Powell L, Crawford D. Concordance of iron indices in homozygote and heterozygote sibling pairs in hemochromatosis families: implications for family screening. J Hepatol. 2002; 37(3):309-14. PMID: 12175625.
- Gochee PA, Powell LW, Cullen DJ, du Sart D, Rossi E, Olynyk JK. A population-based study of the biochemical and clinical expression of the H63D hemochromatosis mutation. Gastroenterology 2002; 122(3):646-51. PMID: 11874997.
- Gochee PA, Powell LW. What’s new in hemochromatosis. Curr Opin Hematol. 2001; 8(2):98-104. PMID: 11224684.
- Gochee PA, Powell LW. Haemochromatosis: Causes and treatment. Current Therapeutics. 2001; 42(4):47-55.
- Gochee PA, Staecker H. Anatomy of the Auditory System. In: Kirtane MV, De Souza C, Sanna M, Devaiah AK, eds. Otology and Neurotology. Americas: Thieme. 2013. p. 41-6. ISBN: 978-9382076001
- Staecker H, Gochee P, Ferraro J, Storms R. Overview of Treatment of Hearing Loss. In: Bashbaum AI, Kaneko A, Shepherd GM, Westheimer G, eds. The Senses: A Comprehensive Reference, Vol 3. San Diego: Academic Press; 2008. p. 447-68. ISBN: 978-0120885381
Abstracts and Conference Proceedings
- Griffin A, Schaefer N, Gerharty B, Gochee PA. The state of hearing in Far North Queensland: A one-year analysis of the audiometric data of paediatric Indigenous and non-Indigenous populations. Australian Association of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery Annual Meeting. Brisbane, Austalia.
- 29th March 29 – April1, 2014.
- Schaefer N, Gochee PA. Transtympanic Facial Nerve Paralysis. Dubai Otology – 5th Asia Pacific Otology & Neurotology Conference. Dubai, United Arab Emirates. September 19-21, 2013
- Chong J, Gochee PA, Dixon, N. Schneiderian-type papilloma of the middle ear. 3rd Asia Pacific-Singapore Otology Neurotology & Skull Base (APSONS) Congress. October 2012.
- Gochee PA, Belanus S, Pfanenstiel S, Durha, D, Staecker HS. Characterization of Mouse Utricle and Saccule Binding Epitopes by M13 Phage Panning. ARO Annual Meeting, Denver, 2007.
- Cabrera CE, Shnayder Y, Tawfik O, Sykes KJ, Champion T, Gochee PA, Tsue TT, Girod DA. Biomarkers in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery August 2007 (Vol. 137, Issue 2, Page P155)
- van der Brug M, Gochee PA, Powell EE, Jonsson JR, Kroon PA, Wilce PA. Linear amplification of mRNA from neural tissue and microarray analysis. Proc Aust Neurosci Soc 2002; 13:47.
- Gochee PA, Powell LW, Cullen DJ, Du Sart D, Rossi E, Olynyk JK. A population-based study of the biochemical expression of the H63D haemochromatosis mutation. Hepatology 2001; 34(4 Suppl):141. (Poster Presentation)
- Jonsson JR, Clouston AD, Gochee PA, Powell EE. Expression of the hepatic renin angiotensin system in chronic hepatits C. Hepatology 2001; 34(4 Suppl):1389.
- Gochee P, Powell LW, Cullen DJ, du Sart D, Olynyk JK. A population-based study of the biochemical expression of the H63D haemochromatosis mutation. J Gastrol Hepatol 2001; 16(Suppl):A49. (Oral Presentation)
- Gochee PA, Jonsson JR, Clouston AD, Powell EE. Variable expression of housekeeping genes in human liver. J Gastrol Hepatol 2001;16(Suppl):A91.
- Jonsson J, Clouston A, Gochee P, Powell E. Expression of the hepatic renin angiotensin system in chronic hepatitis C. J Gastrol Hepatol 2001; 16(Suppl):A62.
- Gochee PA, Purdie DM, Martin N, Powell LW. Presence of H63D in relatives of haemochromatosis patients is not associated with increased ferritin and transferrin saturation levels. International Bioiron 2001 Conference, Cairns, Australia. (Poster Presentation)
- Gochee PA, du Sart D, Cullen DJ, Rossi E, Powell LW, Olynyk J. A population-based study of the biochemical expression of the H63D mutation in the HFE gene. International Bioiron 2001 Conference, Cairns, Australia. (Oral Presentation)
Courses Given and Invited Presentations
- Oct 2011: “Ear Nose and Throat Surgeries and What to Look for Audiologically.” Western Australia Audiological Society of Australia Annual Meeting
- Jul 2010: Faculty Instructor, Temporal Bone Dissection Course, Department of Otolaryngology, University of Kansas Medical Center
- Jul 2009: Faculty Instructor, Temporal Bone Dissection Course, Department of Otolaryngology, University of Kansas Medical Center
- Aug 2002: “Use of amplified antisense RNA in microarrays: Advantages, limitations and fidelity to total RNA.” Centre for Immunology and Cancer Research, Brisbane, Australia.
- Jul 2002: “Steatosis in liver disease: What’s all the fuss about fat?” Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Australia..
- May 2002: “Use of amplified antisense RNA in microarrays: Advantages, limitations and fidelity to total RNA.” Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Australia.
- Mar 2002: “Use of amplified antisense RNA in microarrays: Advantages, limitations and fidelity to total RNA.” Institute for Molecular Biology, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Mar 2001: “Association of genetic factors and neuropsychiatric symptoms during interferon-a treatment for chronic hepatitis C.” Brisbane Interhospital Liver Group
- Perpetual Trustee’s – Wilce PA, Kroon PA, Jonsson JR, Powell EE, Gochee PA. Expression profiling of profibrotic factors in hepatic steatosis. $40,500 (2002-2003)
- Australian Brewer’s Foundation – Powell LW, Olynyk JK, Cullen DC, Purdie D, Gochee PA. An evaluation of the synergism between the haemochromatosis gene mutations, iron and alcohol in alcohol-mediated liver injury in a prospectively studied Australian population. $34,920.00 (2002-2003)
- Perpetual Trustee’s – Powell LW, Olynyk JK, Cullen DJ, Gochee PA. An Evaluation of the role of the H63D haemochromatosis gene mutation on body iron store in a prospectively studied Australian population. $35,500. (2001-2002).
Awards & Scholarships
- Sep 2017: Physician of the Quarter, Saint Luke’s North
- Jun 2008: KU Department of Otolaryngology Resident Research Award
- Sep 2003: Alpha Omega Alpha
- Jul 2000: Fulbright Postgraduate Student Award
- Jan 2002: University of Queensland Special Graduate Student Award
- Jul 2001: Princess Alexandra Hospital Foundation Research Award
- Jul 2001: University of Queensland Department of Surgery Fellowship
- Jun 2000: American Liver Foundation Student Research Award
- Apr 1998: Best Presentation of Research, University of Puget Sound
- May 1997 - Sep 1997: James Caputo Summer Research Award
- Sep 1997- May 1998: Richard Alan Slater Memorial Scholarship
- May 1998: Robert Springer Outstanding Service in Chemistry Award
- Sep 1996 - May 1998: Trustee Scholarship
- Sep 1997- May 1998: Fehlandt Memorial Scholarship Award
- May 1998: Phi Kappa Phi
- Oct 1994: Distinguished Leadership Award, United States Army, PLDC Ft Lewis, WA
Activities & Organizations
- American Academy of Otolaryngology / Head & Neck Surgery
- 2011: Fellowship in Otology and Neurology, Ear Science Institute, Perth, Western Australia