Dr. Allen was born and raised in Kansas City. He did his undergraduate and pre-medical education at the University of San Francisco in California. He graduated from the University of Kansas Medical School and then completed a residency in Anesthesiology at St. Luke's Hospital in Kansas City, MO. Dr. Allen then began to practice Pain Medicine in the Kansas City area.
In 1993, he moved to Cleveland, OH to expand his Interventional Pain and Anesthesia practice working at the Cleveland Clinic and other private hospitals in Ohio. He is triple Board Certified in Anesthesiology, Pain Medicine, and Addiction Medicine.
He returned to the Kansas City area to practice in 2017 and began teaching at the University of Missouri at Kansas City School of Medicine. His interest is in Interventional Pain therapies, and, with his background in Addiction Medicine, he is focused on treating the underlying cause of the pain and reducing or avoiding the need for oral pain medications and opioids.
University of San Francisco, BS Biology, 1976
University of Kansas School of Medicine, 1980
St. Luke’s Hospital, Anesthesiology Residency, 1983
Menorah Medical Center Plaza-Pain Management Fellowship, 1990
Activities and Organizations
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Board
- American Academy of Preventative Medicine
- Kansas Medical Society
- Diagnostic and Therapeutic Ultrasound Guided Nerve Block
- Neurolytic Therapeutic Nerve Block
- Certified Consulting Hypnotist-Pain Management
- Medical Acupuncture-Pain Management
- Spinal Cord Stimulator trials and implants
- Intrathecal Infusion Pump
- Radiofrequency Ablation Lesioning
- Addiction Management and Treatment
- Therapeutic and Cosmetic Botox Injections