Dr. Kimura is a board certified, fellowship trained Head & Neck Surgeon specializing in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. He grew up in Kansas City, attending the University of Kansas for undergraduate studies before attending medical school at the University of Kansas School of Medicine. He then went on to train at one of the top residency programs in the nation at Vanderbilt University where he received multiple honors for excellence in clinical care and research. Following residency, he completed additional specialized fellowship training in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at another top institution at Stanford University where he further honed his skills as a surgeon and a scientist, publishing multiple peer reviewed research articles and textbook chapters.
He is excited to return to the KC area to take care of patients in his hometown. Outside of work he enjoys travel, reading, cheering on the local sports teams (Chiefs, Sporting KC, Royals, Jayhawks, Current), and spending time with his wife, Megan, and his daughter, Harper.
Undergrad - University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS - 2011
Doctorate - University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS - 2016
Internship/Residency - Vanderbilt University, Department of Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery, Nashville, TN 2022
Fellowship-Stanford University, Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Palo Alto, CA 2023
- Facial Nerve Conference Coordinator/Director - Stanford University Hospital
- Clinical Research Mentor/Medical Student Chief - Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- Resident Injectables Course Leader - Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- Camp Counsellor - Camp Chimer, Kansas City, KS
- Journal Articles
1. Longino E, Davis S, Landeen K, Kimura KS, Stephan S. Chemodenervation of the Posterior Belly of the Digastric Muscle in Facial Synkinesis. Facial Plastic Surgery and Aesthetic Medicine. 2022 Sep, doi: 10.1089/fpsam.2022.0207
2. Davis S, Landeen K, Sowder J, Kimura KS, Stephan S. Complications Associated with Use of Porous High-Density Polyethylene in Rhinoplasty. Facial Plastic Surgery and Aesthetic Medicine. 2022 July, doi: 10.1089/fpsam.2021.0090
3. Shastri K, Gao Y, Kimura KS, Patel P, Stephan S, Yang S. Normative Values of the Nasal Obstruction Symptom Evaluation Scale. Facial Plastic Surgery and Aesthetic Medicine. 2022 May, doi: 10.1089/fpsam.2021.0303
4. Longino E, Landeen K, Wessinger B, Kimura KS, Patel P, Stephan S, Yang S. Trends in Maxillofacial Trauma During Covid-19 at a Level 1 Trauma Center. Ear Nose Throat Journal. 2022 April, doi: 10.1177/01455613221088697
5. Shilts M, Rosas-Salazar C, Kimura KS, Das S, Turner J. Severe Covid-19 is Associated with an Altered Upper Respiratory Tract Microbiome. Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology. 2022 Jan, doi:10.3389/fcimb.2021.781968
6. Kimura KS, Davis S, Shastri K, Patel P, Stephan S. Utilizing 3D Customization for Microtia Repair in Patients with Hemifacial Microsomia, a Novel Technique. Laryngoscope. 2021 Sep, doi:10.1002/lary.29823
7. Kimura KS, Gelbard A. Modeling Recurrence in In Idiopathic Subglottic Stenosis with Mobile Peak Expiratory Flow. Laryngoscope. 2021 July, doi: 10.1002/lary.29760
8. Kimura KS, Smetak M, Freeman M, Strickland B, Das S, Wootten C. Undetectable Viral Load within the Mastoid During Cochlear Implantation in a Patient with Covid-19. Otolaryngology Case Reports. 2021 Jun, doi:10.1016/j.xocr.2021.100273
9. Esther CR, Kimura KS, Mikami Y, Edwards CE, Turner JH, Boucher RC. Pharmacokinetic-Based Failure of a DetergentVirucidal for SARS-CoV-2 Nasal Infections. Research square. 2021 May, doi:10.21203
10. Rosas-Salazar C, Kimura KS, Freeman M, Turner J, Das S. The Upper Respiratory Tract Microbiome during SARS-CoV-2 Infection and its Association with Viral Load. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2021 Apr, doi:10.1016/j.jaci.2021.02.001
11. Mitchell M, Kimura KS, Chapurin N, Mitra M, Kim Y. Neuroendocrine Carcinomas of the Head and Neck: A SmallCase Series. American Journal of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Medicine and Surgery. 2021 Feb, doi: 10.1016/j.amjoto.2021.102992
12. Shilts M, Rosas-Salazar C, Kimura KS, Das S, Turner J. Severe Covid-19 is Associated with an Altered UpperRespiratory Tract Microbiome. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 2021 Feb, doi:10.1016/j.jaci.2021.02.001
13. Kimura KS, Patel S, Freeman M, Rivas A. New Onset Seizures Following Cochlear Implantation Reprogramming – ACase Report. Otolaryngology Case Reports. 2020 Dec; doi: 10.1016/j.xocr.2020.100255
14. Wessinger B, Kimura KS, Phillips J, Belcher R. Surgical Management of Velopharyngeal Insufficiency due to UnilateralOropharyngeal Agenesis in a Patient with Stickler Syndrome. Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal. 2020 Dec; doi: 10.1177/1055665620977414.
15. Yancey K, Kloosterman N, Kimura KS, Labadie R, Bennett M, Haynes D. Pediatric Cochlear Implant Outcomes in InnerEar Malformations Compared to Age-Matched Controls. Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery. 2020 Dec. (In Press)
16. Bowers E, Esianor B, Kimura KS, Lewis J, Topf M. Disseminated Herpes Simplex Infection Presenting as Acute Supraglottitis in an Adult. Head and Neck Pathology. 2020 Dec; doi: 10.1007/s12105-020-01255-8Kimura 3
17. Kimura KS, Freeman M, Wessinger B, Das S, Turner J. Interim Analysis of an Open-Label Randomized Control TrialEvaluating Nasal Irrigations in Non-Hospitalized Patients with Covid-19. International Forum of Allergy and Rhinology. 2020 Sep; 10(12): 1325- 1328.
18. Davis S, Morse J, Kimura KS, Stephan S. Septal Perfoplasty for Management of Symptomatic Nasal Septal Perforation:An Alternative to Surgical Closure. Facial Plastic Surgery and Aesthetic Medicine. 2020 Aug; doi: 10.1089/fpsam.2020.0155.
19. Kimura KS, O’Connell BP, Nassiri AM, Dedmon MM, Haynes DS, Bennett ML. Outcomes of Revision CochlearImplantation. Otology & Neurotology. 2020 Jul; 41(6): e705-e711.
20. Campbell B, Shinn J, Kimura KS, Lowery AS, Casey J, Ely E, Gelbard A. Unilateral Vocal Fold Immobility afterProlonged Endotracheal Intubation. JAMA Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery. 2020 Feb; 146 (2), 160-167.
21. Shinn J, Kimura KS, Campbell B, Lowery AS, Wootten C, Gelbard A. Incidence and Outcomes of Acute LaryngealInjury After Prolonged Mechanical Ventilation. Critical Care Medicine. 2019 Dec; 47(12): 1699-1706.
22. Lowery AS, Kimura KS, Shinn J, Gelbard A. Early Medical Therapy for Acute Laryngeal Injury (ALgI) FollowingEndotracheal Intubation: A Protocol for a Prospective Single-Centre Randomised Controlled Trial. BMJ Open. 2019 July; 9(7): e027963.
23. Terai K, Bi D, Kimura KS, Esfandyari T, Farassati F. A Novel Oncolytic Herpes Capable of Cell-Specific TranscriptionalTargeting of CD133+ Cancer Cells Induces Significant Tumor Regression. Stem Cells. 2018 Aug; 36(8): 1154-1169
24. Chowdhury N, Alvi S, Kimura KS, Tawfik O, Hoover L. Outcomes of HPV-related nasal squamous cell carcinoma.Laryngoscope. 2017 Jul; 127(7): 1600-3.
25. Moghadam A, Peng W, Fangman B, Shah K, Ricke B, Kimura KS, Farassati F. Ral Signaling Pathway in Health andCancer. Cancer Medicine. 2017 Dec; 6(12): 2998-3013.
26. Ginn K, Fangman B, Terai K, Shah K, Ricke B, Kimura KS, Farassati F. RalA is Overactivated in Medulloblastoma.Journal of Neuro-Oncology. 2016 Aug; 130, 99-110.
27. Ricke B, Shah K, Camarata P, Peng W, Kimura KS, Farassati F. Ezh2, A Novel Target in Treatment of Medulloblastoma.Neuro-Oncology. 2015 Apr; 17: iii1-iii40.
- Textbook Chapters/Articles
1. Kimura KS, Patel P, Most S. Reconstruction of the Aesthetic Dorsum. Comprehensive Rhinoplasty: Structure and Preservation Concepts. 2022. Quality Medical Publishing. In Print.
2. Ortiz A, Kimura KS, Stephan S. Septal Perforations: A to Z. Current Otorhinolaryngology Reports. 2022. Springer. Doi:10.1007/s40136-022-00416-3.
3. Kimura KS, Ortiz A, Stephan S. Repair of Septal Perforations. Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America. 2022.Elsevier. Doi:10.1055/a-1883-0539.
4. Landeen K, Kimura KS, Stephan S. Nasal Bone Fractures. Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America. 2021.Elsevier. Feb; 30(1):23-30. Doi:10.1016/j.fsc.2021.08.002.
5. Davis S, Kimura KS, Morrel W, Dedhia R, Stephan S. Concentrated Epinephrine Use in the Operating Room. LessonsLearned from Rhinologic Procedure Complications. 2021. Springer. Doi:10.1007/978-3-030-75323-8_16
6. Campbell B, Kimura KS, Yawn R, Bennett M. Pathophysiology and Diagnosis of BPPV. Diagnosis and Treatment ofVestibular Disorders. 2019. Springer. Doi:10.1007/978-3-319-97858-1_11
- American Medical Association
- American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Fellowship in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery