Dr. Ursick is board certified in Otolaryngology-head and neck surgery and Neurotology. He has fellowship training in adult and pediatric otology, neurotology, and lateral skull base surgery. He specializes in the medical and surgical treatment of ear and skull base disorders.
Dr. Ursick is an avid Sporting KC soccer fan, and he enjoys live music, playing guitar, and spending time with his wife and two sons.
Creighton University, Omaha NE
University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha NE
Kansas University Medical Center Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Kansas City KS
Neurotology, House Ear Clinic, Los Angeles CA
- Associate Editor: Audiology and Neurotology Journal (2019-Present)
- Overland Park Surgery Center Medical Executive Committee (2018-Present)
- Global ENT Outreach, Volunteer Surgeon, San Salvador, El Salvador, (2010)
- Medical Mission Foundation, Volunteer Surgeon, Antigua, Guatemala, (2006)
Published Works/Research Experience
- Fayad, JN, Ursick, J, Brackmann, DE, Friedman, RA. Total Ossiculoplasty: Short- and Long-Term Results Using a Titanium Prosthesis with Footplate Shoe. Otology and Neurotology. 2014.
- Ursick, JA, House, JW. Medial Canal Fibrosis. Ear Nose and Throat Journal. 2013. Sep; 92(9): 414.
- Ursick, JA, Fayad, JN. Evolution of Acute Otitis Media. Ear Nose and Throat Journal. 2013. April-May;92(4-5):E25.
- Ursick, JA, Fayad, JN. External Auditory Canal Exostosis. Ear Nose and Throat Journal. 2013. Jan;92(1):13.
- Ursick, JA, Brackmann, DE. Cholesterol Granuloma. Ear Nose and Throat Journal. 2012. Oct;91(10):E31.
- Ursick, JA, Brackmann, DE. External Auditory Canal Cholesteatoma. Ear Nose and Throat Journal. 2012. July;91(7):270
- Ursick, JA, Fayad, JN. Primary Acquired Cholesteatoma. Ear Noseand Throat Journal. 2012. May;91(5):188.
- Freidman RA, Berliner KI, Bassim M, Ursick J, Slattery WH 3rd, Schwartz MS, Brackmann DE. A Paradigm Shift in Surgical Salvage for Radiated Vestibular Schwannoma. Otology and Neurotology.
2011. Oct 32(8) 1322-8
- Ursick, JA, Linthicum, F. Leiomyosarcoma of the Temporal Bone.
- Otology and Neurotology. 2011; Jun 32(4) e 30-1.
- Ursick, J., Staecker, H. An Overview of Animal Models of Tinnitus.B-ENT. 2007; 3 Suppl 7:23-5.
- Ursick, J., Durham, D., Staecker, H., Lefebvre, P., Schoenen, J., Imig, T. Effect of vagal nerve stimulation on a rat tinnitus model. Presentation at the Association for Research in Otolaryngology
Midwinter Meeting, 02/2007.
- Ursick, J., Militsakh, O., Celmer, A., Girod, D., Tsue, T. Isolated Temporal Frey’s After Alloderm Use. Presentation at the American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
Annual Meeting, 09/2006.
- Ursick, J., Kirse, D., Rouse, D., Bruegger, D. Esophageal duplication cyst presenting with stridor and a neck mass. Presentation at the American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology/COSM, 05/2006.
- Amin, M., Ursick, J., Moore, G. (2002). The Incidence of Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo within a Population of Meniere’s Patients. Audio-Digest Otolaryngology, 2004; Vol. 37(2): tracks
Honors & Awards
- Deb Park Memorial Award for Clinical Research (2007)
- Otolaryngology Book Award for Achievement on the Inservice Training Examination (2005-2008)
- Honors Graduate with Distinction, University of Nebraska MedicalCenter (2003)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society (2002)
Activities and Organizations
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow (2013-present)
- American Neurotology Society, Fellow Member (2013-present)
- Kansas City Society of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology Board Member (2021-present)
- Midwest Ear Institute Board Member (2010-present)
- AAO-HNS, member (2004-present)
- Alpha Omega Alpha, member (2003-present)
- Alpha Sigma Nu Jesuit Honor Society, member (1999-present)
- Hearing loss
- Cochlear implantation
- Cholesteatoma and chronic ear disease
- Ear drum perforations
- Temporal encephalocele and cerebrospinal fluid leaks
- Tumors of the ear, temporal bone, and skull base including acoustic neuromas/vestibular schwannomas, meningiomas, and carcinomas
- Stereotactic radiosurgery/Gamma Knife
- Superior semicircular canal dehiscence
- Facial nerve disorder
- Vestibular/Balance disorders