Dr. Markey specializes in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery of the face and neck. His surgical and clinical expertise includes face and neck lifts, aesthetic and functional rhinoplasty, eyelid and eyebrow surgery, Bell’s Palsy repair and Mohs reconstruction. Outside of plastic surgery, Dr. Markey writes and performs music, exercises with his wife, Ellie, and chases after his daughter, Maeve.
Kansas State University
University of Kansas School of Medicine
University of California, San Francisco
University of California, San Francisco
- David AP, Heaton C, Park A, Seth R, Knott PD, Markey JD. Association of Bolster Duration With Uptake Rates of Fibula Donor Site Skin Grafts. JAMA Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery. 2020 Apr 16.
- Tamplen M, Fowler T, Markey J, Knott PD, Suva LJ, Alliston T. Treatment with anti-Sclerostin antibody to stimulate mandibular bone formation. Head and Neck. 2018 Mar.
- Markey J, Anderson Y, Wang TW. Hybrid Cartilage-Modifying Otoplasty Technique and Outcomes. JAMA-Facial Plastic Surgery, 2017.
- Loyo M, Markey J, Gerecci D, Rassi E, Li R, Sullivan B, Wang T. The Modified Septal Transplant: Technical Refinements and Outcomes. JAMA-Facial Plastic Surgery, 2017.
- Markey J, Morrel W, Wang SJ, Ryan W. The effect of submandibular preservation during lymphadenectomy on postoperative xerostomia. Auris Nasus Larynx, 2017.
- Markey J, Alemi S, Naunheim M, Faden D, Heaton C, Seth R. Spontaneous iliopsoas hematoma following microvascular free tissue transfer. Case Reports in Otolaryngology, 2017.
- Markey J, Loyo Li, M. Advancements in the management of synkinesis. Current Opinion in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 2017 Aug;25(4):265-272.
- Krane N, Markey J, Moneta L, Kim M. Aesthetic analysis of the nasal dorsum. Facial Plast Surg 2017; 33:120–124.
- Markey J, Maine, R, Daniels K, Yang E, Hoffman W, Palacios J. Ear disease following cleft lip and palate surgery without tympanostomy tube placement. The Cleft Palate Craniofacial Journal; 201 2017.
- Markey J, Wang S, Ryan W, El-Sayed I, Seth R, Knott, PD. Anterolateral Thigh Adipofascial Flap: A New Option for Scalp Reconstruction. Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery, 2016; 32(2):160-3.
- Markey J, Benet A, El-Sayed, I. The Endonasal Endoscopic Harvest and Anatomy of the Buccal Fat Pad Flap for Closure of Skull Base Defects. Laryngoscope, 2015 Oct;125(10):2247-52
- Markey J, Seth R, Knott PD. Safety and Utility of Cyanoacrylate-Based Adhesives in Creating Layered Septal Cartilage Grafts. American Journal of Otolaryngology. 2015;36(4): 499-502.
- Markey J, Knott PD, Fritz MA, Seth R. Recent advances in head and neck free tissue transfer. Current Opinion in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck surgery. 2015; 23(4):297-301.
- Revenaugh PC, Fritz MA, Haffey TM, Seth R, Markey J, Knott PD. Minimizing morbidity in microvascular surgery: small caliber anastomotic vessels and minimal access approaches. JAMA Facial Plas Surg, 2014 Nov 13.
- Arganbright J, Tsue T, Girod D, Militsakh O, Sykes K, Markey J, Shnayder, Y. Outcomes of the Osteocutaneous Radial Forearm Free Flap for Mandibular Reconstruction. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2013; 139(2): 168-172. ]
Honors & Awards
- FACE2FACE (AAFPRS) Humanitarian Grant – 2017
Lambayeque, Peru 1/13/17 – 1/22/17: $5,000
- Mount Zion Health Fund Research Education Award - 2016
- AAO-HNSF Humanitarian Resident Travel Grant – 2015
Guayaquil Ecuador 11/28/15 – 12/6/15; $1,000.
- AAO-HNSF Resident Leadership Grant – 2015
- AAO-HNSF Resident Leadership Grant – 2014
- Outstanding Student in Otolaryngology (KUSOM)
- Top Student – pre-clinical years (KUSOM)
- Alpha Omega Alpha – 3rd year inductee (KUSOM)
Activities & Organizations
- AAFPRS CME Committee 1/1/2018
Committee goals include review of recorded and live CME opportunities for continuing education credit for AAFPRS members.
- AAFPRS FACE 2 FACE Committee 1/1/2018
Committee goals include review of current humanitarian excursions and allocation of grant resources for new international trips.
- AAFPRS Fellowship Review Committee 1/1/2018
Committee goals include review of fellowship applications to transition for AAFPRS associates to members.
- AAO-HNSF/F Humanitarian Efforts Committee 10/1/2017 – 9/30/2018
Committee goals include to foster and encourage participation amongst otolaryngologists in improving humanitarian care in the U.S. and abroad. To cooperate with other subspecialty groups in administering otolaryngologic care to those in low-resource settings.
- AAO-HNS/F Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Committee 10/1/2014 – 9/30/2016
Committee goals include fostering multidisciplinary relationships with other surgical specialties to develop programs and forums for FPRS discussion. To review and validate the approval of requests within the AAO-HNSF Academy related to plastic and reconstructive surgery.
- UCSF-OHNS Education Committee 7/1/2014 – 6/20/2016
Sole resident member of committee charged with reviewing resident educational progress as well as resident and faculty scheduling, operative case load management, resident performance and many other resident and faculty concerns.