Dr. Foster is a leader in interventional pain medicine who is board-certified in Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine. He specializes in utilizing advanced procedures to help patients who suffer with chronic spine and nerve pain. He is engaged in research, teaching and training other physicians, as well as bringing new technology and treatments to his patients. He has a compassionate and patient-centered approach to his care that leads to a tailored plan for the individual. Dr. Foster’s vision is to empower patients to reclaim their function and quality of life.
Dr. Foster is a graduate of the University of Kansas and played football for the Jayhawks as an Orange Bowl Champion. In his spare time he enjoys live music, traveling, and exercise. His faith, friends, and family encourage his love of medicine and mankind.
University of Kansas - 2007
Bachelor of Science, Exercise Science
Kansas City University - 2010
Master’s in Arts, Bioethics
Kansas City University - 2014
Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center 2018
University of Kansas 2019
Fellowship, Interventional Pain Medicine
Volunteer /Leadership/Published Works
- University of Missouri - Kansas City
· Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology – 2019-23
- Saint Luke’s Hospital of Kansas City
· Service Excellence Committee – 2021-23
· Contrast Executive Committee – 2022-23
· Contrast Media Allocation Standards Committee – 2022-23
- University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
· Chief Resident - 2017-2018
· Oklahoma Resident Delegate to the ASA
· Quality Improvement Committee Member
· Adult Division OR Committee Member
· Resident Advisory Group Committee Member
- Lynch PJ, Tubic G, Foster JM, Puri S, Burnette CA, Block JE. Minimally Invasive Inferior Intra-Articular Sacroiliac Joint Fusion: Successful Application of Osseous Stabilization Using Allograft Bone. Orthop Res Rev. 2022 Nov 16;14:429-435. Doi:10.2147/ORR.S387104. PMID: 36420375; PMCID: PMC 9677508.
- Sayed D, Foster JM, Nairizi A, Sills S, Miller A. 10 kHz High-Frequency Spinal Cord Stimulation for Chronic Thoracic Pain: A Multicenter Case Series and a Guide for Optimal Anatomic Lead Placement. Pain Physician. 2020;23(4):E369-E376. PMID: 32709183.
- Nicol AL, Foster JM, Sowder TM. Fibromyalgia. In: Kellerman RD, Rakel D, eds. Conn’s Current Therapy 2020. Elsevier Publishing; 2020.
- Braun EB, Sack A, Foster JM, Sowder TM, Khan TW. A 55 Year-Old Male With Pain After Above Knee Amputation. In: Maliq T, ed. Practical Chronic Pain Management: A Case-Based Approach. Springer, 2020. p 221-232.
- Foster J, Miesner L, Shah A. Percutaneous SCS Lead Placement in the setting of Spinal Ligamentous Ossification: A Multidisciplinary Approach. Medically challenging case presentation at the 19th Annual Pain Medicine Meeting for American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine; 2020 November 19-21; Las Vegas, NV.
- Sayed D, Foster JM, Nairizi A, Sills S, Miller A. 10 kHz High-Frequency Spinal Cord Stimulation for Chronic Thoracic Pain: A Multicenter Case Series. Poster session at the 14th World Congress of the International Neuromodulation Society; 2019 May 25-30; Sydney, Australia.
- Ozcan M, Bautista A, Tinker T, Overbey N, Foster JM, St. Laurent C, Ozcan M. The Effect of Liposomal Bupivacaine on PACU Analgesic Requirements and Pain Scores After Ambulatory Breast Surgery. Poster session presented at Annual American Society of Anesthesiologists Conference; 2017 October 20-25; Boston, MA.
- Mansour B, Foster JM, Webb C. The Long Lasting Effect of a Trigger Point Injection with Normal Saline. Poster session presented at the 70th Annual Post Graduate Assembly in Anesthesiology; 2016 December 9-13; New York, NY.
- Smith, J. Kosik, E, Foster JM, Aounallah N, Fierro-Fine G. Awake Craniotomy: A Patient’s Perspective. Scientific and Educational Exhibit which took 2nd Prize at the Annual American Society of Anesthesiologists Conference; 2016 October 22-26; Chicago, IL.
- Gold Humanism Honor Society – Class of 2016
- Member of Sigma Sigma Phi – National Osteopathic Medicine Honor Society
Activities and Organizations/Professional Memberships
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians
- American Society of Pain and Neuroscience
- American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine
- International Neuromodulation Society
- North American Neuromodulation Society
- Gold Humanism Honor Society
- Sigma Sigma Phi - National Osteopathic Medicine Honor Society
- ABA Certified in Pain Medicine
- ABA Certified in Anesthesiology
Advanced Procedural Training includes:
- Spinal cord stimulation
- Dorsal Root Ganglion (DRG) stimulation
- Peripheral nerve stimulation
- Intrathecal pump implantation
- Sacroiliac joint fusion
- Percutaneous image-guided limbar decompression (MILD procedure)
- Interspinous spacer implantation (Vertiflex)
- Basivertebral Nerve Ablation (Intracept)
- Spinal tumor ablation