Dr. Straub is an otolaryngologist-head and neck surgeon with fellowship training in Laryngology, which includes medical and surgical management of voice, airway, and swallowing problems. He also performs sleep surgery in patients suffering from obstructive sleep apnea.
A native of Kansas City, Dr. Straub was originally drawn to the field by his love for singing and the ability to combine this with his interest in medicine. In his free time, he enjoys music, traveling, cycling, eating new foods, and spending time with his family and friends.
Tulane University, 2011, Undergrad
University of Kansas, 2015, Doctorate
The Ohio State University, 2020, Internship/Residency
The Ohio State University, 2021, Fellowship (Laryngology)
Medical Mission Trip, Dominican Republic (2019)
Medical Mission Trip, Guatemala (2013)
Medical Mission Trip, Guatemala (2012)
- Straub JM, Calamari KA, Shin TJ, et al. The safety of in-office laryngologic procedures during active antithrombotic therapy. Laryngoscope Investig Otolaryngol. 2020;5(5):890-894. Published 2020 Sep 2. doi:10.1002/lio2.451
- Shao D, Straub J, Matrka L. Obesity as a Predictor of Prolonged Mechanical Ventilation. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2020 May 19:194599820923601. doi: 10.1177/0194599820923601. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32423339.
- Kumar D, New J, Vishwakarma V, Joshi R, Enders J, Lin F, Dasari S, Gutierrez WR, Leef G, Ponnurangam S, Chavan H, Ganaden L, Thornton MM, Dai H, Tawfik O, Straub J, Shnayder Y, Kakarala K, Tsue TT, Girod DA, Van Houten B, Anant S, Krishnamurthy P, Thomas SM. Cancer-Associated Fibroblasts Drive Glycolysis in a Targetable Signaling Loop Implicated in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Progression. Cancer Res. 2018 Jul 15;78(14):3769-3782. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-17-1076. Epub 2018 May 16. PMID: 29769197; PMCID: PMC6050074.
- Straub JM, New J, Hamilton CD, Lominska C, Shnayder Y, Thomas SM. Radiation-induced fibrosis: mechanisms and implications for therapy. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2015 Nov;141(11):1985-94. doi: 10.1007/s00432-015-1974-6. Epub 2015 Apr 25. PMID: 25910988; PMCID: PMC4573901.
- Shao D, Straub J, Matrka L. Obesity as a predictor of prolonged mechanical ventilation. Podium presentation at the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Foundation Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA; September 16, 2019.
- Straub JM, Matrka LA. An updated approach to in-office balloon dilation for nasopharyngeal stenosis: a case report. Poster presentation at the Combined Otolaryngology Spring Meetings, Austin, TX; May 2, 2019.
- Straub JM, Cheresnick CE, Janse SA, deSilva BW, Matrka LA. Using clinical data to predict intubation-related laryngeal injury based on a modified version of the Reflux Finding Score: a prospective study. Podium presentation at the Fall Voice Conference, Seattle, WA; October 26, 2018.
- Straub JM, Shin TJ, Forrest LA, deSilva BW, Matrka LA. In-office laryngologic procedures are safe for patients on antithrombotic therapy. Podium presentation at the Triological Society Combined Sections Meeting, Scottsdale, AZ; January 18, 2018.
- Straub JM, Harris MS, Dodson EE. Middle ear polyposis as a manifestation of Samter’s triad. Poster presentation at the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Foundation Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL; September 12, 2017.
- Straub JM, Boulter DJ, deSilva BW. Predictors of response to surgery in thyrohyoid pain syndrome. Podium presentation at the Combined Otolaryngology Spring Meetings, San Diego, CA; April 27, 2017.
- Outstanding Student in Otolaryngology (2015)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society (2014)
- Phi Beta Kappa Society (2011)
ACTIVITIES AND ORGANIZATIONS
American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
American Medical Association
Association of American Medical Colleges
- Vocal fold atrophy
- Vocal tremor
- Spasmodic dysphonia
- Laryngotracheal stenosis
- Tracheostomy care/complications
- Esophageal stricture/stenosis
- Cricopharyngeal hypertrophy
- Pharyngoesophageal diverticula
- Gastroesophageal/laryngopharyngeal reflux
- Irritable larynx
- Eagle syndrome
- Recurrent respiratory papillomatosis
- Laryngeal cancer/dysplasia
- Laryngocele/Saccular cyst
- Gender-affirming voice care
- Obstructive sleep apnea (including Inspire surgery)