Dr. Showmaker has lived in Missouri his entire life and his education, training, and experience have all taken place in Missouri and Kansas.
He is blessed with a wonderful wife and three children who are his delight and keep him grounded in the importance of life outside of work.
Dr. Showmaker trained in ENT because he loves that he can help people of all ages from 2 days old to >100 years of age with a vast array of medical problems and treatment options. Many of the problems he faces in ENT are simple fixes that really help patients' quality of life such as placing ear tubes for children or performing sinus surgery for adults. For the more challenging situations such as head and neck cancer he is well trained in cancer surgery and will fight with and for you every step of the way. His cancer patients stay with him for many years and are a source of great joy and pride in his work.
Dr. Showmaker wants you to feel comfortable bringing your entire family to his office. He is a compassionate and thorough physician and surgeon and will do his very best to make your experience as comfortable and beneficial as possible.
Truman State University
Bachelor of Science, Biology
University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine
Doctor of Medicine
University of Missouri-Columbia
- “Declining Otolaryngology Resident Training Experience in Tracheostomies: Case Log Trends from 2005 to 2015”. Lesko, D.,Showmaker, J.,Ukatu, C.,Wu, Q.,Chang, CWD.; Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017 May 04.
- “A Retropharyngeal Mass in a Young Boy”. Showmaker, J., Gov-Ari, E.; JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2013 Dec 21.
- 2 citations “Life-threatening tension subcutaneous emphysema as a complication of open tracheostomy”. Showmaker, J.A., Page, M.P.; Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010 Apr.
Honors & Awards
- Member (AAO-HNS), American Academy of Otolaryngology
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists: Endocrine Certification in Neck Ultrasound
- 2015, 2016 Distinguished Member of Committee of Excellence, American Academy Otolaryngology - Head Neck Surgery
Activities & Organizations
- Missouri Society of Otolaryngology
- The American Medical Association
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- I have had extensive training and expertise in the utilization of neck ultrasound to identify and characterize thyroid and parathyroid disorders, enlarged lymph nodes, and cystic neck masses in both the adult and pediatric populations.
- I perform around 250 fine needle aspiration biopsies per year in the office and am often praised by patients for having a smooth technique and providing a less painful procedure compared to their prior experiences with neck biopsies.
- As a surgeon ultrasonographer I also use ultrasound in the operating room to locate parathyroid tumors and cancerous lymph nodes.